Thursday, March 20, 2008

Some information on cervical cancer in Malaysia, which I got from THIS site:

  • Cancer of the cervix is the second most common cancer among females in Malaysia after breast cancer
  • The incidence of this cancer is 11.6 per 100,000 populations, with the age standardized rate of 16.2 per 100,000.
  • It is estimated that approximately 440,000 new cases of cervical cancers occur worldwide annually, and 80% of these cancers occur in developing and undeveloped countries.
  • The association of HPV (the organism that causes cancer of the cervix) with cervical cancer is very high, much higher than the association of tobacco smoking and lung cancer.
  • The younger the age of the woman in indulging in sexual activity the higher is her risk to get HPV infection.
So why am I touching on such a sensitive subject?

My dad read about the risk of cervical cancer and decided that Anis and I should take the vaccine to prevent us from being infected.

I guess it was a "better safe than sorry" measure.

Truthfully, I didn't know that it was the second most common cancer among women in Malaysia. That's a scary thought.

So anyways, the vaccine is really expensive. It's like RM400 per injection (but that's because my dad got the doctor's discount, so I think it would be more expensive for others) and we have to be jabbed like 3 times. I think it's like a jab every 4 months or something like that.

That's like at least RM 1200 per person for the vaccine.

I guess it's better than spending like tens of thousands on cancer treatment that might not work.

Anyhow, Anis and I both had our second jabs of the vaccine last night.

And I realised that I am not very afraid of needles.

But I really hate waiting for the shot because I tend to get very anxious and I start getting all these exaggerated thoughts on how painful the shot's going to be. I remembered how I used to be like one of the first in line when we were getting our tetanus shot in school because I couldn't stand waiting for the shot.

And seriously, I don't think injections are that scary. Funny, coming from a chicken like me who is afraid of watching scary movies.

I guess being a doctor's daughter helps. I've been trained since young not to be afraid of needles.

Oh yeah, while we're on the subject of being a doctor's daughter, before giving me my shot, my dad asked me where I wanted the injection.

His choices? The arm or the buttock.

I was like, "arm, please".

There is no way I am baring my butt to my dad for the shot.

Dah la he said there might be some bruising from the injection.

I would rather have a bruising on my arm rather than on my butt, thank you very much!

The shot didn't hurt so badly. But now, after 24 hours, I can still feel the soreness in my arm.

Well, I guess it's better than having a sore butt.

At least I can still sit down.

I think for people who can afford to get the vaccine, they definitely should go for it. It's definitely worth the money. I got this info from www.medicine.com.my:

A combined analysis of all the four clinical trials shows that the vaccine:

  • Prevented 100% of cervical pre-cancers and non-invasive cervical cancers (CIN 2 and 3).
  • Prevented 100% of vulvar and vaginal pre-cancers caused by HPV types 16 and 18.
  • Prevented 95% of low-grade cervical lesions (CIN 1) and pre-cancers (CIN 2 and 3) caused by HPV types 6, 11, 16 and 18.
  • Prevented 99% of genital warts caused by HPV 6, 11, 16 and 18.“With this vaccine, we’ve also demonstrated the longest duration of efficacy of any cervical cancer vaccine to date. We saw that through five years of follow-up, the vaccine prevented 96% of HPV 6, 11, 16 and 18-related infections and disease,” says Dr Sattler.

Sometimes I'm so glad that my dad is a doctor.

I felt so tired today. My dad said it might be a side effect from the vaccine.

Tomorrow I'm going out with Nat! Haven't seen her since the day we sent Zaty off! Can't wait.

Okay, I'm going to bed now. I.am.so.tired.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


1 scribbles: to “

  • kellneriner
    6:52 PM  

    omg. i hv no idea it costs that much for ONE injection! neway speaking arm or butt, that really make me laughed. i remember when i was really sick n went to klinik izham dkt B.A n doctor izham sendiri injected me right there!! yes, buttock!!! n i was already like 19 at that time!!but my case was too severe he said the fastest result is tru there. but gosh. malunye LOL imagine ur dad inject u kt c2. hahahahahha. ROTFL

 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster